Thursday, October 25, 2012

As it says on the Frisch leads website, October 26th is the when the topic and goal are due. But thankfully, I seem to have a formulated topic and goal! I've decided to stick with my Tikvah Topic of exploring familial relationships. I intend to do a bit of research on the psychological aspect of relationships but make it more of a literature based project. Mrs. Wiener had the brilliant idea to discuss the family-dynamics in the works we read this year. This blog would be a journal of my analysis of each work.

My original idea was based off of the Tikvah summer reading, East of Eden. There are TONS of relationships to choose from, plenty to discuss. I definitely intend to include it in my project.

I could use either of the summer reading novels.
Family is a key component to White Noise - Jack's three wives and assorted children are crucial to the message of the story. I could definitely use White Noise.
If I wanted to, I could use Brave New World as a contrast to the impact of family. I could discuss why the lack of family figures has stunted certain aspects of development.

I also intend to use Medea, which I already read according to psychoanalytic lens (which is very related to familial relationships.) I would be able to talk about her relationships with her father, brother, and children.

I'm not entirely sure what the upcoming books are about, but the syllabus dictates that we will be reading Cold Mountain, Hamlet, Crime and Punishment, Things Fall Apart, and Atonement. I'm sure that I will find sufficient psychoanalytic criticism and familial influences in those novels. I'll have to play it by ear.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent analysis and inter-blogging post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete