Thursday, November 15, 2012

I had been feeling fairly calm about this project - I have a concept, an appropriate way to incorporate the blog, a few books to research the general idea, a strategy for developing the project. . .everything was coming along. I felt good.

This feeling of serenity was shattered by a quick glance at the frischleads page. "20-25 pages, at least 15 printed sources (non-electronic) and 2 live interviews, 3 audio/visual sources and 5 printed/electronic sources." That's a LOT of sources.(!!) The second option is a little less daunting; "12-15 page paper using at least 7 outside printed sources (not electronic), a live interview, 1 audio/visual source and 3 printed/electronic sources." But even though I would absolutely love to create an art piece as the culmination project, my topic doesn't lend itself well to a painting or drawing...So the 22.5 page paper it is.

Let's do some math here (my other favorite topic.) Throughout the course of this school year, I will read 9 works in AP English (Brave New World, White Noise, Medea, The Odyssey, Cold Mountain, Hamlet, Crime and Punishment, Things Fall Apart, Atonement.) Any/All of those can count towards the 15 non electric sources. East Of Eden (the Tikvah summer reading) makes 10. Non fiction works (studies) will count also - I reserved (without calculating beforehand) exactly 5 books on familial psychology from the public library. This makes a perfect 15, if I find sufficient information in every book. In the event that I don't feel like using a particular book, I can reserve more psychology books or introduce a new novel for analysis. (Elisheva Rosen suggested the book Jacob I have Loved). 

The other sources can't be calculated beforehand. I'll need to decide what type of person I would like to interview and how I can get his/her contact information. I'll need to ask Mrs. Geller for any visual sources and/or any forum to find them. I'll need to scour the web for websites will relevant information.

I'm less concerned about the non-paper sources - we modern teenagers are totally confident in our ability to find things on the internet. But now that I mapped it out, the 15 non-electric sources doesn't intimidate me - I have plenty of viable options. I'm in a good place.

No comments:

Post a Comment